GED Exams and Times
- Reasoning through Language Arts 150 minutes
- In Spanish 150 minutes
- Mathematical Reasoning 115 minutes
- Social Studies 70 minutes
- Science 90 minutes
- The range of scores on each GED exam is 1 to 200
- A GED passing score is 145 to 200
- Two additional levels are available: GED® College Ready (165-174) and GED® College Ready + Credit (175-200). These replace the previous GED® with Honors score level.
- Total needed from the four scores to pass the GED is 580
GED Test Registration
- You must register online at www.GED.com
- You’ll need an email address to create your GED account.
- You’ll need to create a password to access your GED account.
- Complete registration online with email and password
- Register using the name that is on your photo identification
- Pay the fees online with a credit or debit card. The cost is $35 per exam, or $140 for all 4 exams
- The GED must be taken at an official GED Testing Center like San Mateo Adult School.
- You will receive test results within 3 hours of completion.
- You may choose to take all four exams in either Spanish or English
Please go to www.GED.com for further information
Need to cancel/reschedule your test appointment?
- You must do so at least 1 business day (which means no Saturday/Sunday) prior to the scheduled test date to receive a reimbursement or reschedule.
- You must contact Pearson Vue directly either by logging into your GED.com account or calling them at 1-877-392-6433. Pearson Vue answers the phone from 7 am to 7 pm Central Standard Time which is 2 hours later than California time. Unfortunately, San Mateo Adult School staff cannot cancel nor reschedule your test appointments.
PRE GED and GED Test Preparation Classes
How do I get started in classes?
- You must register for GED-ACCEL Week in person at the San Mateo Adult School. You will be given the dates you’ll need to attend. Attendance is mandatory.
- Before attending GED-ACCEL Week, you must go to www.GED.com and create an account. Be sure you have a current e-mail address. Finally, you need to create an 8 character password to access your account.
- Please write down you e-mail address and password and keep it with you. This information will be used for all future correspondence with the GED.
- Once the two placements are scored, you will meet with an academic advisor to determine class schedule.
Who can take the test?
To take the GED in California, you must be at least 18 years of age or be within 60 days of 18 years of age, or within 60 days of when your high school class would have graduated, and have appropriate identification. Students must provide one form of valid identification. The ID must be government issued and be current (not expired). It must also include student’s name, address, date of birth, signature and photograph. GED Testing accepts the following forms of identification: Passport, Driver’s License, National/state/county identification card, any other form of government issued ID (national or foreign) including Matricular Consular.
Once I pass all 4 exams, how will I get my GED certificate?
- We would like you to plan to attend our graduation ceremony in June of each year. In addition, the GED Testing Service Smart Transcript is available in California and provides:
- Electronic transcript that you can save or email to colleges and employers
- A description of the skills and abilities you demonstrated on the GED test through links right on the Smart transcript.
What if I don’t pass?
- You can take a test module and 2 subsequent module retests with no restrictions between retakes.
- If you fail the 2nd or any subsequent retest, you must wait 60 days for each successive attempt.